Although I try to update it often, this CV may not be complete. Please feel free to email me (coral at sheldon-hess dot org) if you’d like a current PDF of my full, up to date CV.
- Web Services Librarian/Assistant Professor of Library Science; University of Alaska Anchorage, UAA/APU Consortium Library; 2009 – present
- Information Assistant; Carnegie Mellon University – Engineering & Science Libraries; 2008-2009
- Information Assistant; Carnegie Mellon University – Institutional Repository; Field Placement, Spring 2009
- Intern; National Aviary; 2008 – 2009
- Library Assistant; Brentwood Public Library; Summer 2008
- Senior Consultant; Booz Allen Hamilton; 2006 – 2008
- RF Engineer; i5 Wireless, LLC; 2005 – 2006
- Research Assistant; Carnegie Mellon University Electrical & Computer Engineering Department; 2003 – 2005
- Teaching Assistant; UVA CS Dept., UVA ECE Dept., CMU ECE Dept.; Spring 2000, Fall 2000, Spring 2001, Spring 2002, Summer 2004
Courses: CS 101, CS 201, ECE 410, 18-100
Current Professional & Volunteer Activities:
- Anchorage Programming Workshop – Co-founder and teacher, Webmaster
- American Library Association
- New Members Roundtable, Web Committee – Chair (2013-14)
- Council – Councilor-at-Large (2013-16)
- Alaska Library Association
- Social Media Committee – Chair (2012-present)
- New Members Roundtable – Co-Chair/Past Chair (2013)
- Anchorage Chapter – Past President (2012, 2013)
- Web Team – Member (2012-present)
- 2014 Conference – Webmaster (2013-14)
- University of Alaska Anchorage – Faculty Senator (2013-15)
- University of Pittsburgh, Master of Library and Information Science, 2009
- Carnegie Mellon University, Master of Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2005
- University of Virginia, Bachelor of Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2003
- Back in the Stacks, Bringing Professional Organization into Professional Life, ACRL New Members Discussion Group Panel Discussion at ALA Midwinter. 1/27/2013.
- Librarians Build Communities: Advocacy Through Volunteerism. Pacific Northwest Library Association Annual Conference. 8/3/2012. (slides)
- Emerging Leaders Team Seeking States to Host Librarians Build Communities. ALA Advocacy Corner, American Library Association Annual Conference. 6/24/2012.
- Alaskan Librarians Build Communities. Alaska Library Association Annual Conference – Lightning Talks. 2/25/2012. (slides)
- Social Media Starter Kit. Alaska Library Association Annual Conference. 2/18/2011. (wiki page)
- Implementing New Tech Tools. DirLead (Alaska Public Library Directors’ Leadership Group) Annual Meeting. 10/15/2010. (blog post I wrote for attendees)
- ALA Conference for Students and Introduction to NMRT. Chapter Meeting, Virginia/West Virginia branch of the University of North Texas’s Library and Information Sciences Student Association (LISSA). 6/21/10.
- Twitter in the Classroom. CAFE Cloud Computing in the Classroom Workshop. 3/26/2010.
- LibCal Calendar Training. Consortium Library staff. 5/23/13, 5/28/13, and 6/11/13.
- Web Fundamentals. Anchorage Programming Workshop. 5/22/13. (slides)
- Twenty-Minute Training: Blog Best Practices. Consortium Library’s Library, Reference, and Information Technology Training Series. 4/9/2013.
- Using QuickSearch for Library Research. University of Alaska Anchorage eTechnology Fair. 2/15/2013. (recorded session)
- Using LibAnswers. Training for Instruction & Reference Department. 8/14/2012. (two supporting YouTube videos: 1 and 2)
- Adding FAQs to the LibAnswers Knowledge Base. Training for Instruction & Reference Department. 8/7/2012.
- Writing to the Reference Blog. Training for Instruction & Reference Department. 7/31/2012.
- Using LibCal Room Booking. Training for Circulation staff. 7/9/2012 and 7/13/2012.
- Google+. Faculty ETech Fair, presented by UAA ELearning Working Group. 2/17/12.
- Twenty-Minute Training: Google Plus. Consortium Library’s Library, Reference, and Information Technology Training Series. 2/14/2012.
- LibGuides Open Work Session. Training for Consortium Library faculty and staff. 12/14/2011 and 1/11/2012.
- Twenty-Minute Training: RSS and Google Reader. Consortium Library’s Library, Reference, and Information Technology Training Series. 7/26/2011
- Twenty-Minute Training: Facebook Privacy. Consortium Library’s Library, Reference, and Information Technology Training Series. 10/26/2010.
- “AkLA’s Social Media Efforts,” Alaska Library Association’s Newspoke, Volume 26, Number 2. April – June 2013.
- “Libraries: The Goldmine Down the Street,” Offbeat Home & Life, April 16, 2013.
- “AkLA Chapter News: Library Networking Night,” Alaska Library Association’s Newspoke, Volume 24, Number 2. April – June 2011.
- “Finding Your Feet in a New Place,” NMRT Footnotes, November 2009, Volume 39 No. 2.
- May Chapter Event Recap – Reverse Mentoring. The Confluence: Newsletter of the Special Libraries Association – Pittsburgh Chapter. Volume 74, Issue 2. August 2009. (Also excerpted in SLA Chapter Idea Bank, Chapter Chatter, Fall 2009.)
- Benjamin E. Henty, Jessica Hess*, and Daniel D. Stancil. Crossed Monopole Array for Single Mode Excitation of Ventilation Duct Communication Channels. Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, June 2007.
- A Two-Element Directional Antenna for Coupling Wireless Signals into HVAC Ducts. Master’s thesis. August 2005.
- Jessica C. Hess, Benjamin E. Henty, and Daniel D. Stancil. Design of an Overmoded-Waveguide Directional Antenna for Use in In-Building Ventilation Duct Wireless Networks. IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest, June 2007.
- Jessica Hess, Benjamin E. Henty, and Daniel D. Stancil. Scalar Network Analysis of Wireless Channels Using IEEE 802.11g Transmissions. Transactions on Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), pp. 2226–2229, September 2005.
- The Design of a Bird-Tracking Device Utilizing the Global Positioning System. Undergraduate thesis. May 2003.
Honors and Awards:
- 2012 ALA Emerging Leader, sponsored by Association of College & Research Libraries – Science & Technology Section
- Pacific Northwest Library Association “LEADS” Leadership Institute, October 2010
- UAA/APU Consortium Library Staff Development Award to attend ALA Midwinter 2010, ALA
Annual 2011, ALA Annual 2012
- UCLA student scholarship to attend Electronic Resources & Libraries 2009
- High 5 Award (Booz Allen Hamilton), 2007 – In recognition of dedication to fostering a collaborative community across ITI Home Team 1 through participation in the Communications Focus Group
- Marquis Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders, 2007
- Performance Recognition Award (Booz Allen Hamilton), 2006 – For outstanding support and dedication in developing the subsystem specifications and interface requirements for the Vehicle Infrastructure Integration Project
- Rodman Scholar (University of Virginia), 2000-2003
- William L. Everitt Student Award for Excellence (2003)
- Eta Kappa Nu – Electrical Engineering Honors Society
- Tau Beta Pi – Engineering Honors Society
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars
* “Jessica Hess” is me. Coral is technically my middle name, though it’s the name I prefer. Also, my husband and I hyphenated names.